Tourist attractions in Hintertux: Ice Palace and Spannagel Cave
The two main attractions in Hintertux can be visited throughout the year.
Nature’s Ice Palace
Entrance just 3 minutes on foot from the mountain station of “Gletscherbus 3”
Guided tours, suitable for children six years of age and older
- Standard tour: 45–60 min
- Scientific adventure tour: 2 hours
Children’s tours for min. 10 participants, pre-registration required
The highest-situated commercial cave and largest natural cave of the central Alps is approximately 12.5 km long. The Spannagel Cave is a dry cave and thus a fascinating contrast to the Nature’s Ice Palace.
Entrance approx. five minutes from the Tuxer Fernerhaus/mountain station "Gletscherbus 2"
- Guided tour approx. 60 min
- Suitable for children
- Cave trekking 2.5–3 hours, pre-registration required
- Dripstones, marble enclaves, glacial mills
- All visitors are provided with rubber boots, a helmet and a raincoat
Other tourist attractions and trip destinations in the Zillertal
Anyone expecting architectural masterpieces in the Zillertal will of course be disappointed. Rather, it is cultural monuments from the often very hard past of the people in the Alpine valley that fascinate to this day and grant deep insight into times past.
- Mountain cheese dairy “Stoankasern” break stop, approximately 2.5 hours’ ascent from Juns or Tux-Lanersbach. Open from beginning of June to end of September, daily from 7:00 am - 11:00 am, preparation of butter and cheese.
- Erlebnis Sennerei Zillertal in Mayrhofen: 11 stations illustrate the journey from milk to cheese. Alpine dairy cooking with delicacies of the region, terrace. Open daily from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Tux Mill in Juns, once for grinding barley flour, now used for display purposes. Open mid-June to end of September, every Monday from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
- Mehlerhaus in Madseit: Farmhouse from the 17th century with nice wooden parlours and kitchen. Open every Friday from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm (from Christmas to Easter as well as July to September).
Book your summer holiday now and discover the Tuxertal with all its activities and possibilities. The entire team of Hotel Hintertux is looking forward to your visit!