Sights in the Zillertal & activities around Hintertux
Tourist attractions in Hintertux: Ice Palace and Spannagel Cave
Fascinating glacier landscapes, a marble show cave, wild waterfalls and much more will leave you in awe. Set off for the leisure attractions in Hintertux that are worth seeing and can be visited all year round. Tip: You won't be able to stop marvelling at some of the sights in the Zillertal...
Nature’s Ice Palace
A spectacular natural wonder and one of the top sights in the Zillertal awaits both young and old explorers in the very south of the Zillertal. About 3,200 metres above sea level, on the frozen wall, lies the natural ice palace of the Hintertux Glacier. The Nature Ice Palace on the Hintertux Glacier is an underground world of ice and light. The entrance is only a 3-minute walk from the mountain station of the "Gletscherbus 3".
As an ice palace open all year round, the attraction offers a constant temperature of 0° degrees Celsius and can be visited in any weather. Breathtaking natural features such as giant ice crystals, frozen waterfalls, magical ice stalactites and a glacial lake make for magical moments at the Nature Ice Palace.
- Standard tour: 45-60 min
- Scientific adventure tour: 2 hours
- VIP tour with boat trip on the glacier lake: 70 min
- Descent of 52.5 m glacier shaft: 1 hour
- Photo tour in the glacier cathedral: 2 hours
- Stand-up paddling in the Nature Ice Palace: 20 min
- Ice swimming in the glacier lake
- Kayak tour through the Nature Ice Palace
- Guided tours, suitable for children from the age of six and for groups of 10 or more by prior arrangement
Bizarre shapes of marble and sinter as well as unique stalactites and crystals - venture into the depths of the marble show cave on the Hintertux glacier, the Spannagelhöhle. The highest show cave and largest natural cave in the Central Alps, is about 12.5 km long and is one of the most popular sights in the Zillertal. The Spannagel Cave is dry and thus a fascinating contrast to the Nature Ice Palace.
Overall, the cave is characterised by strong weathering and intense moisture penetration (up to and including waterfalls). A cave museum has been set up in the eastern section, where some find from inside the mountain are on display. The numerous natural wonders can be explored all year round and can therefore be combined very well with your holiday in the Zillertal. Due to the healing air, the Spannagelhöhle is especially recommended for those suffering from respiratory diseases.
The entrance is about a five-minute walk from the Tuxer Fernerhaus/mountain station Gletscherbus 2.
- Tour with guide approx. 60 min
- suitable for children
- Cave trekking 2.5-3 hours by prior arrangement
- stalactites, marble inclusions, glacier mills
- all visitors are equipped with rubber boots, helmets and mackintosh
Other tourist attractions and trip destinations in the Zillertal
Anyone expecting architectural masterpieces in the Zillertal will of course be disappointed. Rather, it is cultural monuments from the often very hard past of the people in the Alpine valley that fascinate to this day and grant deep insight into times past.
- Mountain cheese dairy “Stoankasern” break stop, approximately 2.5 hours’ ascent from Juns or Tux-Lanersbach. Open from beginning of June to end of September, daily from 7:00 am - 11:00 am, preparation of butter and cheese.
- Erlebnis Sennerei Zillertal in Mayrhofen: 11 stations illustrate the journey from milk to cheese. Alpine dairy cooking with delicacies of the region, terrace. Open daily from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Tux Mill in Juns, once for grinding barley flour, now used for display purposes. Open mid-June to end of September, every Monday from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
- Mehlerhaus in Madseit: Farmhouse from the 17th century with nice wooden parlours and kitchen. Open every Friday from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm (from Christmas to Easter as well as July to September).
Book your summer holiday now and discover the Tuxertal with all its activities and possibilities. The entire team of Hotel Hintertux is looking forward to your visit!