Winter fun off the slopes - Winter holiday in Tyrol
Tobogganing, hiking, cross-country skiing
Numerous activities also await off-piste – quiet and contemplative activities but also rapid ones. See for yourself!
Sledging in the Tuxertal: tobogganing with a high fun factor
Bichlalm Hintertux: The approximately 50 minute ascent is followed by a rapid 3 km ride into the valley. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays you can experience a fun hut evening before descending back into the valley. In case you are not too keen on the ascent, you can always order a hut taxi (Tue to Fri) for 19:10 and 20:00 o’clock from Hintertux.
Further information on tel.: +43 (0) 5287/87776
Höllensteinhütte at the Loschboden: After an ascent of approximately 60 minutes from Juns or Lanersbach, you will be rewarded with 4 km of sledging fun. Alternatively, you can enjoy the ascent with the taxi. Worth seeing: the Alpine Museum on the Höllensteinhütte.
Further information on tel.: +43 (0) 664/1575004
Gieralm: The 1 ½ hour ascent from Juns is rewarded with a hearty break in the Adlerstube chalet before enjoying a 5 km long sledging ride towards the valley. Hut evenings and “Hüttenzauber” with live music.
Further information on tel.: +43 (0) 5287/86859
Cross-country skiing in the Zillertal 3000 Skiing and Glacier World
The entire ski resort has 26 km of classic cross-country trails and skating tracks. All trails in the Tuxertal can be used free of charge. If you would like to entirely discover the Zillertal on cross-country skis, you will find about 200 kilometres of trails at your disposal! Our cross-country trail tips:
- Track from Tux-Vorderlansbach to Madseit: 14 km of classic trail
- Trail Juns/Madseit: 14 km of skating track
If you would like tips from a cross-country skiing pro, you will be in perfect hands at the Tuxertal ski school!
Winter hikes and snowshoeing in Hintertux
You can take relaxing walks on a total of 68 km of cleared winter hiking paths or find your happiness in snowshoes hiking cross-country off pre-existing trails!
Our top 3 winter hiking trails from Hintertux:
- Hiking tour to Bichalm– duration 1 hour
Comfortable winter hike on the trail no. 17. On your way back you can either enjoy a toboggan ride or hike the same way back.
- Hike from the Sommerbergalm to Hintertux – duration 2.5 hours
The gondola lift will take you from Hintertux to Sommerbergalm. Then, you will follow the path via Bichalm to Hintertux.
- Hike from Hintertux to Lanersbach – duration 2 hours
First follow the road, turn onto the path no. 12 to Madseit and then follow the hiking trail to Lanersbach (trail no. 10).
Natursport Tyrol also offers guided snowshoeing tours. You can rent snowshoes from our Intersport shop & rent.
Tourist attractions in Hintertux: Ice Palace and Spannagel Cave
The two main attractions in Hintertux can be visited throughout the year.
Nature’s Ice Palace
Entrance just 3 minutes on foot from the mountain station of “Glacier Bus 3”
Guided tours, suitable for children six years of age and older
- Standard tour: 45–60 min
- Scientific adventure tour: 2 hours
Children’s tours for min. 10 participants, pre-registration required
The highest-situated commercial cave and largest natural cave of the central Alps is approximately 12.5 km long. The Spannagel Cave is a dry cave and thus a fascinating contrast to the Nature’s Ice Palace.
Entrance approx. five minutes from the Tuxer Fernerhaus/mountain station Glacier Bus 2
- Guided tour approx. 60 min
- Suitable for children
- Cave trekking 2.5–3 hours, pre-registration required
- Dripstones, marble enclaves, glacial mills
- All visitors are provided with rubber boots, a helmet and a raincoat
Other tourist attractions and trip destinations in the Zillertal
Anyone expecting architectural masterpieces in the Zillertal will of course be disappointed. Rather, it is cultural monuments from the often very hard past of the people in the Alpine valley that fascinate to this day and grant deep insight into times past.
- Mountain cheese dairy “Stoankasern” break stop, approximately 2.5 hours’ ascent from Juns or Tux-Lanersbach. Open from beginning of June to end of September, daily from 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., preparation of butter and cheese.
- Erlebnis Sennerei Zillertal in Mayrhofen: 11 stations illustrate the journey from milk to cheese. Alpine dairy cooking with delicacies of the region, terrace. Open daily from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Tux Mill in Juns, once for grinding barley flour, now used for display purposes. Open mid-June to end of September, every Monday from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Mehlerhaus in Madseit: Farmhouse from the 17th century with nice wooden parlours and kitchen. Open every Friday from 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm (from Christmas to Easter as well as July to September).
Experience the multi-faceted winter and send us a no-obligation enquiry.